Importing products with a CSV file
When you create your CSV, there are some rules you need to follow. This will ensure that your text file has the correct structure for uploading:
- Each Product must be on a new row.
- The first row must include the column headers. This enables to plugin to map the fields correctly.
- Taxonomies, Attributes and Images support multiple items. Separate these with a pipe “|” character.
Importing your products can be as nice and simple as creating a CSV file and importing that into Vaishnava.com.
Create Your CSV
To get you started, you can download a sample.csv here. This has many of the common fields used for selling products.
A few things to consider when moving your images via CSV:
- If you import images using URLs (http://), the image is copied from the URL into (directory)/uploads, added to the Media library and linked to the product. This can cause duplication if you import multiple times or reuse the same image for multiple products.
- If you upload images to the (directory)/uploads/year/month/ folder OR (directory)/uploads/product_images/, you can use the filename without the path in your CSV instead of the full URL.
- If you use (directory)/uploads/year/month/, it must be the current year/month in which the upload occurs.
- If you use the filename, it will link the product to the image – no duplication of the image itself. This method is faster and more reliable. It adds a new image to the Media Library, regardless if it has been added there already.
- For example, just adding
sneakers.jpgto the CSV file under the column header “Images” will connect the sneakers image to that product, if that is the right name.
Import Your CSV
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the csv file attached